On Wednesday 08 July 2020 21:24:56 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 07/08/2020 08:03 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Absolutely Jon. But to do it right requires a machine with little or
> > no backlash so it can't pull the work.
>
> Or else, you always did a climb mill finish pass with a very
> shallow cut.  That's what I did on my ancient Bridgeport
> before I did the CNC conversion.  You could get away with it
> like that.
>
> Jon

I don't recall doing any metalwork on the g0704 before I converted it.
So much of the metal cutting code has a last finishing pass thats climb
cut, written as a separate loop.  Even then its first major project was
furniture, cuttin out and carving the green & green style big box joints
for a series of blanket chests. In fact I cut out the first one with the
hf mill and while I did get it done, that mill took way too long and
several setups just to do one board, the impetus to buy the g0704 in the
first place. I need to move the assembly of the last of those into the
house and get them finished before I miss roll call. I am out of
woodworking room in the garage.

 - Louis D. Brandeis