On 07/15/2020 07:40 PM, John Dammeyer wrote:
After 3 decades of working with Turbo Pascal and then Delphi, Tcl/Python to me
is such a step backwards it's painful to use.
Yes, I'm with you. I wrote some big programs in Pascal a LONG time ago. The biggest one was a Gerber file to raster converter program. Recently, I took that old source and recompiled it under FPC (Free Pascal Compiler) and got it running in very short order.

My experience with Pascal was that once I got the program to compile without errors (minor syntax and variable name errors) they generally worked first time, or at least came very close.

About 15 years ago I wrote several large GUIs to control data acquisition systems, using Tcl/Tk for the screen interface and C for the back end hardware control and database of settings. The C part was very complex but pretty straightforward. The Tcl part was close to a nightmare, due to all the quirks in Tcl.

I have recently created a few smaller GUIs with an initial structure set up with Glade, interfaced to a back end in C. Once the initial xml is set up with Glade, I then go in and hand-edit all the special interface options, as Glade doesn't seem able to go in and modify an xml file once it is built. But, the xml is a much saner way to just build a GUI than with Tcl.

Jon