Selecting a feature in the Tree View or Combo View windows on the left
side of the FreeCAD screen and pressing the space bar to hide or show
that feature works the same for me in the 0.19 app image as it did in
previous FreeCAD versions.  I also tested it to ensure that it would
hide and reveal an STL if that's what you were viewing.

It's odd that your Tree List is blank.  Whenever I use FreeCAD, the same
objects are listed in the Tree List and the Combo View.  That's probably
a clue.  I am far from a FreeCAD expert.

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.

If you'd like to email (off list) the file you're viewing, I can see if
I can replicate the problem you're having.