On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 23:13, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I noted that 1 turn of the bs-1 worm is exactly 10 degrees

I would be surprised if that were the case. I think that dividing
heads are either 40:1 or 90:1, and the docs for the BS1 say it is
40:1, or 9 degrees per rev.

It would be better to count full turns of the input shaft against a
full chuck rotation to be sure.

> idea of measuring one turn of the motor, hard to do without a long
> pointer, but came up with about 20 counts shy of 6000 for one full turn

Again, it is more accurate to measure 10 (or more) full turns and divide.
6000 is an unusual number of counts (but not as unusual as 5980)

> Obviously wrong as can be, so that seems to be a scale not for 1 turn of
> the bs-1 but the right scale then is for 1 degree of its rotation?

Yes, the scale is the ratio between steps or encoder counts and
engineering units.
If you are using degrees, then it is steps per degree. Of course you
could work in radians, but the scale would be irrational.

> When I used the rotary table, scale is stepper micro-steps for one full
> turn, and I can tell it to go in 90 degree steps while making tap hats,
> and its right. So why is it not the same "unit" for a servo?

Did you program the rotary table in fractions of a turn or in degrees?

--
atp
lunatics."