I used a 3 board solution on my BBB before switching from MK to Linuxcnc.

https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_cape

https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_bob_input

https://github.com/ozzyrob/pp_bob_output

The cape attaches as normal and the 2 other boards sit either side
connected by a short ribbon cable.

Still have a few sets of boards left over, and one set of 3 fully built
that I used but no longer have a use for.

There are pretty basic but I found them to work without any issues.