On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 16:49, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Two additional questions. That 70 ohm 300 watt braking resistor just
> walked up and rang my doorbell, so are you using one?

I am not using one. It would be useful if I was, since I added
on-the-fly gearshifting to the two speed box.

The idea is that if it is in low gear and the spindle speed goes above
500 rpm then it disconnects the low-speed clutch and slows the motor
down to the right speed to operate the high-speed clutch.
Unfortunately the spindle slows faster than the motor, so they only
really catch each other at zero-zero.

If I had a braking resistor then I could slow the motor faster, and
there would be more chance of catching the gear change.

But the VFD is next to the motor, behind a panel that is only
accessible once the lathe is pulled away from the wall.
So I have not tried to add one.

Downshifting goes a little better.

I drive an old fire engine that has the same problem, if you are going
up a steep hill, that the vehicle could climb in top or third gear, if
you have to stop and go into first, there is no way to get out of
first and you have to hold it to the top of the hill.

--
atp
lunatics."