On Tuesday 02 February 2021 08:30:56 Sam Sokolik wrote:

> I have looked at cycloidal drives and feel that they have too many
> parts :)
>
> Gene
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx263nnTrqY
>
> Ran for over 6 hours like that - about 850rpm input.

I am highly impressed.

Now finish the housing, and hang a load on it, like the worm of a BS-1
while making another worm to replace the crappy worm in the Chinese
BS-1. That worm is doomed to a higher wear rate, a fact I'm becoming
aware of as I exercise this BS-1 servo for tuning.

That is why I bought the ender3, but I was using O.P's code which was
crappy code IMO. Turns out the ender3 can make stuff a heck of a lot
better that the code I could DL from thingiverse. I now have the
extruder motor on the x carriage, moving a modified stock hot end, and
while its slower than some because the heating is only once the filament
is in the nozzle, dozens of times more dependable than the stock setup.
No clogging from cold filament because the hot stuff backs up into the
heat sink and freezes.

I think this loose ring idea has the most promise of making a long
lasting drive, and shorter axially than any design so far. Please
continue.

Thank you Sam S.

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 3:13 AM andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Guys just to chime in here.
> >
> > Sam went don't you design a cycloidal drive instead.  They are easy
> > to make on a normal 3 axis Cnc mill with a end mill and much more
> > rigid than a harmonic drive.  As they are not so fragile.  I'm
> > planning on making some on my VMC soon.    I don't understand why
> > use a harmonic drive.  (I actually have a big harmonic drive here
> > from a robot. )

> > > Timing belts will take the flex
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZELQdgBbU
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YC-0C8oPUo
> > >

> > > Cycloid prototype under microscope
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5GMOBgz6s
> > >

> > > Hybrid planetary/harmonic drive - check out how they made it flex
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdRGrTHq4hA

 - Louis D. Brandeis