Maybe you could reprogram the animatics to accept step and direction on
some inputs, if they're available and do it that way?

I had an IMS drive that I did that with to run linuxCNC.  Definitely, not
the preferred way to do it, though.  The IMS setup I had didn't seem to
work very well as the drivers had the integrated controller that had to
convert step and direction with an onboard processor.  I wouldn't recommend
that setup w/ IMS smart drives (think it was an Mdrive).

Also, with independent controllers on each motor like animatics, I would
think latency would cause some issues.  They'd be very minor, but one motor
might lag a split second compared to another.  I don't think it'd be too
noticeable for most applications, but not as robust as step and direction.

Mark