On Wed, 14 Apr 2021, John Dammeyer wrote:

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 20:55:01 -0700
From: John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
To: "'Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)'" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Emc-users] Motion information.

I've returned to playing with the BeagleBone Black and Xylotex Cape to make it
match the MESA 7i92 pins on the DB-25.  I've run into issues with naming of
pins in the HAL file.

Is there something newer than this?
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html#MOTION%20PARAMETERS

The reason I ask is for both my LinuxCNC with MESA 7i92H and the MachineKit on
the BBB pins like:
motion.spindle-speed-out-abs

Those are older spindle names

aren't documented in the above document.  But they are what I believe was
created
What's in the document is
spindle.M.spindle-speed-out-abs    (where M is 0..n)

This changed sometime in 2.8

So there's a disconnect from this manual compared to what is in both the MachineKit and LinuxCNC 2.8. Both the PC and the Pi4 version.

The manual reflects the current release (2.8.1)

The PNCconf generated the initial hal file for me and the stepconf generated the parallel port version. Maybe those programs haven't been updated for years and the new motion software still supports the 'old' way?

If you update to 2.8.1, both motion and pncconf use the new spindle names
(like spindle.M.spindle-speed-out-abs)

John Dammeyer

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics