On Saturday 01 May 2021 08:35:12 Thaddeus Waldner wrote:

> So these are actual stepper motors and not 3-phase BLDC motors with
> step/direction input?

yes, and while I said a step loss will stop them it has to exist for an
unspecified time frame. You can fasten them down, put a vice grip on the
shaft and turn them 1/4 turn before they error, they will resist
mightily and if you let go of the vice grips quick enough, they'll catch
up to a zero error and just keep on trucking. I can, creeping along with
my jog dials, run a carbide tipped tool into a stationary chuck jaw, and
when its found itself jammed, it shuts down the output drivers and
bounces about 10 thou clear of the chuck, all without damageing the chip
in the tool.  The machine will obviously need re-homed as I have the
volatile option set in the .ini file.  Thats a 25mm z screw, but my x
screw is only an 8mm, so while its wired I've deferred to the size of
the screw and the possibility of damaging it, and not tested it
similarly with its shorter, 2NM rated motor. That screw today seems to
be made of pure unobtainium, its half of one of a triplet I bought from
Stuart St. about 15 or more years ago to cnc the smallest hf mill.

> I always assumed that it’s the latter, with the difference being lost
> in translation.

So did I, but installing one, replacing a stepper that ran burn you hand
hot, and finding it stone cold after half an hour powered up but the
only move was homing the axis was quite the eye opener, the motors
holding current is determined by the encoder error.  No error=not enough
holding currant to make feelable heat. You think its shut down, until
you try to turn it...

[...]

 - Louis D. Brandeis