No worries.  Found the solution.
I have spindle.0.speed-out-rps connected to spindle-cmd  which  ends up being a
signed float.

net spindle-cmd <= spindle.0.speed-out-rps

And that's connected to the stepgen
net spindle-cmd     =>  hm2_7i92.0.stepgen.05.velocity-cmd

Results in my P1.19_DB25.2 showing a square wave on the scope when I toggle the
axis CW and click on the speed.  Change to CCW and click speed again I get the
square wave on the scope and the P1.23_DB25.3 changes to a logic high for a
change in direction.

More when I test it with a motor.
John