At $294 (out of stock too) that eval board is way more expensive than a STMBL
kit which also can drive a motor with a much higher power supply voltage.

I'm surprised that ST charges so much for something like that.  You'd think
with their size they could produce demo boards for really cheap, people would
use them as is and others would then develop products based on it.  But at that
cost, one has to have a budget and a marketing plan to even consider starting.

John