WARNING! The following message does not conform to CoC as it's wordy and
useless.
=============================
So I got to use that halfway between points operation today.

To set Y=0.0 between the fixed and movable jaws of the vise holding hollow
round stock with my LED indicator 0.2" diameter touch probe.

Before that, using a 1-2-3 block as a reference on the top of the vise I had
created a tool table with 6 tools using this link:
https://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/gen05.html
Screen shot of the tool table.  That document is printed on both sides of the
page and will become a permanent fixture by the mill.

Once I had the center of the round piece I was able to touch off using the
center drill and a thin piece of paper.  Then put a dimple into the piece.
Next a tool change to the #21 drill.  I went to XY Zero (using button that now
works!!!!)   And then used the jog and MPG to sneak up to Z Zero.  And sure
enough when the drill bit tip was just clear of the dimple from the center
drill the DRO said 0.000.  Tool offset working.

A hand drill operation and then a tool change to #6.

One hand on ESTOP, one hand on my heart I ran my tapping demo and watched the
tap move over from the tool change position to XY Zero and then down to 0.1"
above.  And then the spindle came on and down it went. And up it came.  And
then the vise moved to the finish position and I unclamped a piece with a
perfect 10-32 tapped hole.

Scary but successful.  Thanks everyone for the help.  My spiral taps have
arrived so I might just try something in steel.

John Dammeyer