To be clear, the tutorial I was following for setting the tool offsets clearly
stated "Make sure the indicator for the Z axis is lit".  I had moved with X to
get to a smooth part of the 123 block for setting the distance and then the
pendant Z motion with the MPG for Z.  The indicator was still on the X axis so
the current X axis value was written into the tool table for X.

Now load T1 and do a G0 X0 and then load T1 and G0 X0 you get a different
position all because the X offsets in the tool table are different.

This makes sense and it was operator error.  I just don't think it should
happen.
John