That's exciting because it does away with the need for a set of large diameter
toothed pulleys turning a quadrature encoder.  One of the things that kept me
away with my larger bore South Bend Lathe.

There is no reason a second sensor couldn't be added to provide quadrature?  As
long as the two sensors were close enough together so that they both knew the
missing tooth was there.   Then the missing tooth just looks like a slowly
moving gear for that one period.  No unexpected edges during that period.
You'd probably have to dictate one of them as the index determining pulse.

Nicely done though.  Is the code available for a look see?

John