IMO, your building inspector is stepping way outside of his authority.
His job is "building" inspection.   You got a permit for your "building" project.    Not for some machine sitting in your building.

Unless your mill is part of the "building",  he is way outside of his authority.

If your mill is hardwired into your electrical system, that may be a problem.  You may need to have a plug and receptacle for your mill, with the appropriate branch circuit protection (circuit breaker or fuse, etc) for the outlet.

I would ask specifically why he believes your machine must be stamped when it is not part of your building.   Record exactly what he says.   Try and do as much in writing as possible.   Emails work.  Ask them what standard codes they follow and ask them to cite the sections of the code they are basing their decision on.   Then appeal his decision.   Tell the guy you mean no disrespect, but that you disagree with his decision and want to appeal it. They should have a process to do that.   Chances are that his boss will not support his decision. Unless everything used in your county is required to be UL approved (very unlikely), I think his decision will be overturned.    7 engineers in the state who can apply a stamp are  inadequate to cover all of WA state!   Just make sure you are decent about it.   People become irrational when they feel attacked. If they push back you need to remind them that you are suffering from loss of use due to what you believe is an arbitrary decision.

Do you know any lawyers in the area? If you can, you want to copy a lawyer on all of your correspondence.    The lawyer doesn't need to do anything typically if you follow the appeals process.   But including legal counsel raises the bar significantly on their part.   Tell the lawyer you want to copy them in case they are needed.  Etc. When things get sticky for the inspectors, and you have legit arguments, they will typically back off.   Getting legal counsel involved is incredibly sticky since they have to get "their" legal counsel involved as well, and that costs $$, it sparks internal meetings.   Lots of paperwork, etc. Suddenly you turn into a plague on the department.

I do industrial integration and have been doing it since 2003.   I have LinuxCNC machines running in plants everyday.
But I'm in Indiana.

Dave