Actually that is along the lines of what I've asked.  Some sort of brake that
could limit the speed.

If you go back to steam engines the two weights swung out and shut off the
pressure to the engine to keep it from running away.  I'm not sure I could fit
something like that in that space but I had an idea like that.

Occasionally, until I solve that problem the socket goes flying off too.  The
square shaft of the wrench is hardened and I've used a Dremel to create a
dimple but it's not deep enough yet.   Adding a guard around the socket for
safety is a good idea then.  And if centrifugal force causes two arms with
brake pads to fly out and run against the guard to slow it down that would
work.  But seems overly complex.

Using that same guard idea but with pads that apply load to the socket to keep
it from spinning away might be easier.  If you think about the sound of an
impact wrench it spins up and only when it hits a load do you get the hammering
sound.

I've been considering this as a solution instead.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000220757109.html

John