On Wed, 1 Dec, 2021 at 5:51 PM, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

To: 'enhanced machine controller (emc)'
>How about.  Now it works.  I can load the assembly but the embedded read only

>characteristic is just plain rude.  So the work around with Alibre is as
>follows:

Import the .step file.

>Select one of the elements like "Housing"  and right click to open in separate
>window.

>Doesn't matter what you do to the drawing you can't change it but it can be
>exported

>as an .IGES file.

>So now I have "Housing.igs" and can import that and then save as the
>"Housing.AD<http://Housing.AD>_PRT"

>It's still a clumsy step file type of import that doesn't have the same ease
>of use

>editing that parts built with Alibre have but at least it's editable and some
>of the very

>poor features of the design can be changed.

I looked at Alibre but the learning curve was too steep for my elderly brain,
so I taught

myself how to use OpenSCAD, and designed mine in that. But it doesn't import
too much

else, more intended for new designs.  It is different, and simpler but can do a
pretty

good job.

>John

Take care and stay  well John