On 2/2/22 10:03 AM, Andy Howell wrote:

I based my impression of it getting close from reading mails about progressing in the Debian new release queue.

The project to get LinuxCNC included in the main Debian distribution is totally decoupled from the project to make the next release of LinuxCNC. Do not take the Debian packaging progress as a sign that 2.9 is getting close to release.

It would be great if we could get LinuxCNC into Debian *and* finalize 2.9 before the next major release of Debian is frozen. That'll be Debian 12 "Bookworm", and it's probably a year or so away, I think.

The "get LinuxCNC into Debian" project (spearheaded by Steffen Möller and Petter Reinholdtsen of debian.org, thank you!!) is currently in the hands of the Debian ftpmasters group, which scrutinizes new packages before they get accepted. The ftpmasters are currently swamped with all the new incoming packages that people want to add to Debian after the recent-ish release of Debian 11 Bullseye, and we must wait patiently.

The "release the next version of LinuxCNC" is something we should probably start thinking and talking about internally... I'll start a new thread for that.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky