I just looked.  It varies a lot.  They have an M0 processor for 93 cents
and one of their M4 goes for $67.    Prices are "all over the map".   I
think this is the effect of the current chip shortage.    Some specific ICs
are hard to get and expensive but some very similar ICs are cheap and which
are cheap and which are expensive changes frequently.

But if I were designing a PCB for a robot.   I'd simply design in a 40 pin
socket for a Raspberry Pi Pico or maybe a Teensy and avoid the hard work of
laying out a microcontroller and just use a common breakout board as if it
were a huge IC.   It greatly reduces the risk of an error and does not
require much engineering skill.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 10:05 AM Przemek Klosowski <
przemek.klosow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 3:12 AM Ralph Stirling
> <ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:
> >
> > My last order from JLC was six different designs, five or ten of each,
> one fully stuffed with ten or so high grade opto's and a bunch of
> discretes.  Total cost with shipping and paypal fee was $150, arrived in
> one week.  A single board only job would probably be $20 with shipping.
> Parts for an assembled board are often less than the cost of a solder
> stencil by itself (and their stencils are pretty cheap!), unless you have
> some higher end/scarcer parts (like stm32f103 processors now $50...).  They
> only assemble smd parts, no through hole.
>
> huh? https://jlcpcb.com/partdetail/Stmicroelectronics-STM32F103C8T6/C8734
> seems to be around $3 and they have several thousand in stock

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California