Cutting square tubing is no harder than cutting molding around a door
frame.   Use a miter saw.   A fine tooth hacksaw blade works well for
carbon fiber.

If you don't have a miter saw, print a plastic guide block that holds the
tube and has a slot for your hacksaw.

Finish with a sanding block to make the edge nice.   I've cut a lot of
fiber tubes, sharp saws work well. but glass and other fibers dull tools
really fast.

You can make a really strong part by gluing fiber tube into 3D printed
blocks

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:08 PM gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> An unusual question. How to cut, neatly, and squarely, a 20mm square
> carbon fiber tube to length, say 550mm out of an 800mm tube. I'm making
> a linear rail bearing X axis for two of my 3d printers,
>
> I have a die grinder that I can mount in a quick change holder, and a 2"
> by 30 thou CBN disk and 1/4" arbor, and a 4 jaw chuck on my Sheldon.
>
> Do I need to print an 18mm square plug to insert into this tubing to
> support the 1mm thick tubing walls, or can a relatively light grip be
> enough to hold it fixed while I turn slow and cut it off with the CBN
> wheel running at about half line voltage in the die grinder?
>
> All I can see in my minds eye is a hugely ragged edge cutting it by hand
> with a hacksaw.
>
> Better ideas anybody?
>
> Thanks All.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --
>   soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>   - Louis D. Brandeis
> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California