I forgot to clarify.

Usually you don't touch off for X coordinate in G54 because your centerline
is always the center of rotation of the chuck. So basically you only use Z
axis touch off for different part lengths.

And the only time you need to find the centerline is whenever you mount a
drill on your turret. I rarely do that, but a dial indicator on the chuck
could be used to dial by hand around the drill fixture and adjust the X
position until it's centered.