Hello!

I am trying to help a guy to sort out config changes for their LinuxCNC machine.
Currently they are running servo motors with step/dir signals and
there is no position feedback to LinuxCNC. They are having some issues
with machining errors and they want to change the config so that
encoder signal from servodrive is fed to LinuxCNC with an intention
that it will improve positioning precision. 7i76E is supposed to be
capable of reading 3 encoders - one for spindle and two for MPG. The
idea is to use these 3 encoders for X and Y axes (it is a gantry
machine with total of 3 joints for XY plane).

The problem is that this line in INI file:
CONFIG="num_encoders=3 num_stepgens=4 sserial_port_0=0xxxxxxx"

Gives an error on LinuxCNC startup and I believe this line to be the crucial:
config.num_encoders = 3, but only 1 are available, not loading the driver

Do I understand correctly that simple change of firmware is required?
Can someone suggest what would be correct firmware for this?

And then one more question - are those inputs for MPG encoders
suitable to read "normal" encoder signal, meaning - are there any
limitations on max pulse frequency the inputs can handle for these 2
encoders?

Thanks in advance!

Viesturs