On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 at 07:52, Thomas J Powderly <tjt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In this method the wire is reused,
> it is wound onto a drum , which has to reverse.

A long time ago I had the use of an abrasive wire saw that worked on a
similar principle.
One of these, in fact, or the 1980s predecessor.
https://www.agarscientific.com/well-6500-vertical-diamond-wire-saw

> How does Linuxcnc handle the reversing of a lathe head and chuck?

It is baked into the threading cycle code.

I think that the way to do this is probably to put the drum in charge.
When it is up to speed it enables motion and spark power, when it hits
the end stop it cuts power and motion, reverses, then enables things
again when back up to speed the other way.
I would build-in provision to keep motion and spark active to separate
drum speed limits. I can see you might want to stop the spark after
the motion, or vice-versa.

DOL reversing is probably the fastest, you have the whole power grid
to absorb the power, but I think I would use a (probably oversized)
VFD with a braking resistor programmed for active braking.

--
atp
lunatics."