Happy to join in!

Ben, you asked for a definition on how I might define boredom. That's
tricky of course (it seems we are all circling a few potential definitions
here, myself included.) Perhaps a bit abstractly, I think of boredom as
lack with stillness- desire for something other than what one is engaged
with, and an inability (that may or may not be temporary) to consciously
initiate a change that might alleviate the discomfort. I am not thinking
about physical stillness here- I am thinking perhaps more about static
modes- things that do not change, or that are highly repetitive, or perhaps
even empty. If I were to connect this idea to analogs in artistic practice,
I immediately think of Andy Warhol's Empire. We are presented with a very
long film comprised of one image that we look at. To watch it straight
through, where it is seemingly unchanging, we are presented with a
meditation on an object. That may be interesting to some, but for many, it
becomes boring. It is boring because it does not adhere to cinematic
structures, it is boring because "nothing happens". It is in this
expectation that we find ourselves wrestling with the sensations of boredom
(lack of stimulus, hope for something else, and a mind resting in a place
where we are uncomfortable because nothing is changing).

When I start to think about what I called the 'lack cycle', I was thinking
a bit about how boredom is self feeding/self perpetuating.

When I used the word antidote, I was (somewhat sloppily) falling into
Buddhist jargon. There is the notion of the five poisons that interfere
with the path to enlightenment, and each of these poisons affects practice
in different ways. the five poisons are: ignorance, desire-attachment (an
attachment to desire), anger/hatred, pride, and jealousy. When teaching
meditation, it is within the combination of ignorance and attachment to
desire that boredom arises. It is ignorance, because we have forgotten the
directions on how to meditate, and we have lost our knowledge of the
process, and it is deeply intrenched in the desire-attachment relationship
because we are approaching the practice through a lens of expectation.
Boredom must be overcome, but, it is a continual cycle because it can and
will arise again. and again. and again.

This relates to what I coined the 'lack cycle' because we return to it over
and over again. With each stage of development we return to deal with our
expectations within that development, and our lack of obtainment, and
cyclically return to this place of expectation.

-lg