From:  <empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au> on behalf of Isak Berbic
<isak.ber...@stonybrook.edu>
Date:  Friday, September 11, 2015 at 6:33 PM
To:  soft_skinned_space <empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au>
Subject:  Re: [-empyre-] -empyre- September, 2015, Video: Behind and Beyond

Thank you for the invitation to contribute to empyre this month. I've been
here a few times before ... last time writing from the Middle East, where I
was based for 6 years. These days I live and work in New York ... and
currently I am editing a new video about a 20th century steel mill that is
forced to depart planet earth into outer-space, in search of ore, where the
workers will be able to continue and make pots, pans and automobile rims.
The story is inspired by hilariously absurd anecdotes my grandfather used to
recount about the plant he worked for in the city of Zenica, BiH.

Building on John Conomos' post:
I also work with video as a material of images in time, where my
investigations always seem to return to exploring the limits of
representation, and often in effort to explode mythologies without
sentimentality (I hope).

Tonight, I would like to invite you to view one of my works from 2008: "The
End of History". This piece takes a particular moment in video
history/technology (VHS handheld cameras), and probes the image found at the
periphery of erasure.

Eyewitness recordings of the Yugoslavian war (early 90s) seemed to fade
quickly, as video standards rapidly advanced into digital codec formats.
Even though this war was among the first to be recorded massively by
multitudes of citizens using handheld cameras, the videos seem to be trapped
in their plastic cassette bodies, in people's storage bins, and dusty
bookshelves.

Vimeo Link:    https://vimeo.com/77293548

Digitized analog tapes, computer-generated imagery
SD DVD video, with sound, color
Runtime: 10 minutes

A conversation develops between two personified subtitles: poet-politicians;
one red, the other white. Their subject, persona and voice are abstracted
and confused as they discuss literature, religion, nationalism and
philosophy. Images recorded by people in Sarajevo under siege, in the early
nineties, are transformed into a visceral, poetic, and dark audiovisual
space. The End of History is a montage of this transcoded appropriated
footage. While some invoke iconic images of Sarajevo under mortar shelling,
others are computer generated and the sound entirely follied.

Regards,
Isak Berbic

empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au http://empyre.library.cornell.edu