On Sun, 20 Sep 2015, ETC wrote:

I think that what ETC tried to provide was a malleable space - one which
each artist could create in his/her own image and desire.

-- And this is perfect; the key was/is malleabolity, a porous space, and something should be said about the rough-hewn, the _wood_ of the space, its proximity to the bridge, to the gazebo - everything played a role. I also noticed and worked with the windows (for shooting down into the street for 3 a.m. performances), and the acoustic resonance of the room. Finally, as with most rooms, but so often hidden, there were the traces of machinery, other visitors, everything! in the room itself, which appeared both as a domicile and an interior body. I remember a large bat flying around us one night as we slept and slowly woke - it was an amazing peak experience. The loft appeared less industrial and more like a kind of primordial, natural order of things. Of course this is but fantasy...

- Alan