I just wanted to make a brief note about "compulsion" -- since I am sure
many of you wonder why I have chosen that word over something less
ideological. I've chosen the word "compulsion" because I am interested in a
exorbitant form of desire, which Derrida links to the perverse,
unreasonable, and queer. I've read numerous historical and cultural
critiques of "addiction" and "compulsion" (I've opted not to use
"addiction" for a variety of reasons), but I want to move past simply
exposing social constructs or a critique of the discourses of exorbitant
desires. (Susan Zieger, Helen Keane, Brenda Cossman, Janice Irvine, Jeffrey
Falla, and many other scholars have already mounted insightful and
effective arguments in this regard). Instead, I'd like to take seriously a
notion of exorbitant desire that is patient with its moods and
temporalities, its pleasures as well as its negative affects (frustration,
shame, for example), rather than moving too quickly to put them to good
use, dwelling with compulsion, rather than transforming it into something
acceptable, something normal.

That being said, I would to hear more during the discussion about the
problems of "compulsion" -- and what term might work better but still
acknowledge the social constructions of immersion in human-computer
exchange.

Patrick Keilty
Assistant Professor
Faculty of Information
Bonham Centre for Sexual Diversity Studies
University of Toronto
http://www.patrickkeilty.com/