Ismail,

I am struck by the history implied in your post.  It's now ten years since your
project SOWETO UPRISINGS, a radical reimagining of the multiple narrative
routes of protest, a historiography that generates an archive as it also maps
space differently.  The other part of your post describes the student uprisings
in South Africa at the moment, a movement that has been virtually erased from
news coverage in the US and Europe.  I only learned of it through a Facebook
link and then through the  powerful talk on radical historiographic
temporalities of Premesh Lalu at a recent closing lecture at the Society for
the Humanities at Cornell University (mounted by Tim Murray of Empyre).

You post is so powerful.

I wondered if you might share with our list what kinds of mapping, mobile, and
organizing interfaces are being deployed in this new movement?  How do they
intersect with the issues you outlined?  How do they move between the digital
and the embodied?  And what kinds of mobilizations in both digital and
embodied, on the ground demonstrations, are evolving? It strikes me that the
current student movement in South Africa perhaps opens up our discussion of
mobile apps and environmental performances towards a move transnational
consideration.

Patty

Patricia R. Zimmermann, Ph.D.
Professor of Screen Studies
Roy H. Park School of Communication
Codirector, Finger Lakes Environmental Film Festival

Ithaca College
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, New York 14850 USA

http://faculty.ithaca.edu:83/patty/