Thank you, Renate. I think this is the first time I’ve ever been a ‘guest’
(after a lot of time as a moderator).

Maybe in the spirit of the ‘ignorant schoolmaster’ thought i am far from being
anyone’s teacher, I’d like to help us think about ‘migration’ and
‘displacement’ in different registers.

I was born to ‘migration” in a two-fold sense— one, that my family left a world
of cousins and aunts, friends, sun, city, mountains and ocean for a  stark
place on the great plains when I was seven;  two, a result of one,  I grew up
with a basic self understanding as one who lived in a kind of exile and a
longing for return— and the perennial dilemma that no return is possible, only
the narrative around returns.  I became fascinated with stories of immigrants
and displaced people, I devoured young adult novels about early 19th century
tenement life on the Lower East Side (“Hester Street”) … I stumbled upon the
“Diary of Ann Frank” and so discovered through those pages the actual fact of
the Holocaust about which I had been totally ignorant until the age of nine… My
father was an historian of European immigration on the Great Plains— and our
family talk at night was cycling, at dinner around a round table, through
themes of displacement and resilience, of territorial war and xenophobias, of
genocide and loss. Outside by day, an apparent emptiness of sky and prairie
seemed marked by  invisible runes, as if the land itself denoted a secret
language, you could catch a glimpse if you watched carefully—. Born to and born
from migration,  I have sought knowledge and wisdom in  works of so many
artists dealing with exile, displacement, alienation and tenacity.  Some of
these artists include, to mention but a few—

Chantal Ackerman  / News From Home
https://www.criterion.com/films/20978-news-from-home
Multiplicity (Stephano Boeri et al) / Solid Sea   (installation)
http://stefanoboeri.net/?p=2432
Rebecca Prichard / Dream Pill  (theatre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kLutSeF0ZE
Diane Glancy  / Pushing the Bear (novel)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_the_Bear

Here  is the question of language: what is it to speak of and to recover
language from within the violent loss of home?

 In Pushing the Bear, Diane Glancy’s almost-readers theatre- like dramatization
of the Trail of Tears, wherein the Cherokee people were forced to walk from
their home in the southern Appalachians to the plains of Oklahoma (then not a
state, but “Indian Territory”) in the 1830s— the main protagonist, Maritole,
asks ‘would we find our words hadn’t migrated? “  The dread of this passage is
worth quoting in full:

“MARITOLE:

I remembered following Knobowtee through the woods in North Carolina.  The
trees laughing. The creek. Our words came out of the land.  Would our words
leave their place? Did they walk, too? Would we have language when we got to
Fort Gibson in Indian Territory? Would we find our words hadn’t migrated?

If the language didn’t ross on the rail, it would sink back inside the trees
and rocks. It would be buried in the land.  It would go back to where it came.

Let Knowbowtee catch some words.  Let him talk to me. That will be the bird he
catches. “

What about catching words? what is this situation, of the unspeakable
situation— that speaks ? I ‘m asking about a poetics of migration, really— what
can this be?

all my best

Christina

http://christinamcphee.net