 The Cherokee people were forced to walk from their home in the southern
Appalachians to the plains of Oklahoma (pre-state “Indian Territory”) in the
1830s. Here is the question of language: what is it to speak of and to recover
language from within the violent loss of home? Native American novelist Diane
Glancy asks ‘would we find our words hadn’t migrated? “  The dread of this
passage is worth quoting in full:

“MARITOLE:

I remembered following Knobowtee through the woods in North Carolina.  The
trees laughing. The creek. Our words came out of the land.  Would our words
leave their place? Did they walk, too? Would we have language when we got to
Fort Gibson in Indian Territory? Would we find our words hadn’t migrated?

If the language didn’t ross on the rail, it would sink back inside the trees
and rocks. It would be buried in the land.  It would go back to where it came.

Let Knowbowtee catch some words.  Let him talk to me. That will be the bird he
catches. “

What about catching words? what is this situation, of the unspeakable
situation— that speaks ? I ‘m asking about a poetics of migration, really— what
can this be?

Diane Glancy  / Pushing the Bear (novel)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_the_Bear
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_the_Bear>

Christina
http://christinamcphee.net <http://christinamcphee.net/>