-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas F. DeFrantz
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:43 AM
To: soft_skinned_space
Subject: RE: [-empyre-] Liquid Blackness- Week II: Aesthetics

i'm not sure what to think about liberation or transcendence as goals.  what if
we aren't trying to *not* be on the planet with others, but trying to find ways
to shift possibilities so that the spaces can allow for temporary diversities?
we all come and go;  maybe this is like the liquid that seeps and stalls;
freezes then bubbles.  liberation and transcendence seem unlikely to me, and
imply a 'not being-ness.' my skepticism here feeds into a distrust of
afro-pessimism, even as I surely find the ground where it grows to be familiar.
being black is somehow related to the tension of holding an ontological
possibility for black presence; to hold that tension productively, freedom will
be an unattainable, momentary goal.  is that okay?  black aesthetics suggest,
well, yes, it's okay; of course it is all temporary and contingent.

i also wonder that there could ever be an 'outside to the West.' how could
anyone on the planet be outside direct relationship to structures of capital,
empire, and white domination?  this is the ground that produces afro-pessimism,
but I wonder that we aren't all afro-pessimists if this is true, and what
distinctively comes from a designation of resistance to the modern.

in my own body, as I reflect on my various identities and relationships, I
don't feel overdetermined so much as overwhelmed by life in the twenty-first
century.
others might think too much of me; but that is their predilection; can we talk
about how to have access to materials that will allow for the enhancement of
black lives in various locations?  for my cousins in the virgin islands; my
nephews in hayward, ca; my brother in indianapolis, in? for my play-family in
south carolina?

i think of the aesthetics of blackness as methods to produce contingencies that
enhance possibilities.  as in the free jazz/passing through project.  making
black art is making black relationships palpable, and making these
relationships dynamic and unstable.  so we can learn in the making.

then what if we all took time to make black art?  to invent
performances/installations/writing that resist, that speak of family and
spirit, that engage rhythm and unexpected arrivals of group communion.  that
subvert hegemony. black performance pretty much always arrives queer; our
common concerns with adornment and elaboration ensure this.

so, what shall we make together?

in motion, tommy