My resolution is simple. Each week this year I will do at least one thing
to further the making of a different world. It might be very simple, or
small. Sometimes it might be something larger. In some ways, it's more a
matter of breaking old habits, and creating new ones. It will be in despite
of having no time, etc etc. Each week at least one thing that contributes
to making things happen, differently.

Extra Rule: I can't just count what I was doing anyway.

Small explanation: Last year, for the first time, I taught a course on
Media and Climate Change. We were all, often, discussing what to do, as one
does. A lot of solutions are the big ones—and they're necessary. But it's
hard to access those, in practice. So we often accepted that what needed to
happen to deal with climate was a lot, but that a lot of people doing
something, even small things, was better than a few people doing a lot,
while the rest were too busy (interestingly, the students often said that
their biggest problem when it came to climate change was that the world the
lived in just didn't give them time. This is true.). And of course, the
hope then is that things would snowball. The other advantage of this is
that lots of different things will be going on. Then maybe new things will
emerge from all that rich soup of goings on.

Andrew

--

"A traveller, who has lost his way, should not ask, Where am I? What he
really wants to know is, Where are the other places" - Alfred North
Whitehead

Andrew Murphie - Associate Professor
School of the Arts and Media,
University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2052

UNSW is CRICOS Provider code number 00098G

Editor - The Fibreculture Journal http://fibreculturejournal.org/>
web: http://www.andrewmurphie.org/  <http://dynamicmedianetwork.org/>

fax:612 93856812 tlf:612 93855548
room 311H, Robert Webster Building

"Those who use the expression 'unrealistic' are claiming an authority about
the nature and assessment of realism not necessarily granted to them by
others." (Edith Berry in Frank Moorhouse's *Cold Light*:657)