Welcome to February 2017 on –empyre soft-skinned space
Between Biology and Art

Moderated by
Renate Ferro (US) with invited discussants

Introduction:  Byron Rich (US)

Week 2: February 13 Lindsay Kelley (AU), Kathy High (US)

Week 3: February 20 Soyu Lee (KR  ) Paul Vanouse (US)

Week 4:  February 27 Tarsh Bates (AU), Antoinette LaFarge (US), and Margherita
Pevere

Within the hybrid interventions of BIOART, the tools of the citizen artist and
new media technologies converge. This month –empyre- subscribers and guests
will inhabit the territories
between biology and art. Between the boundaries of truth and the imagination
the cross-disciplinary discipline relates to such conceptual issues as
politics, race, feminism, ethics, and scientific methodology, among others.
Networked technology, social media, new media practices, participatory
practices, performance, sound, video and a host of other new media and
networked practices
have been at the center of communicating this research.

A side note: A few of our guests will converge in real space as part of the
College Art Association’s New Media Caucus Round Table.  The title of the round
table, Between Biology
and Art, will convene on February 17th from 3:30 to 5:00 pm in at the New York
Hilton Hotel, 2nd Floor in the Gibson Suite.  If you are a part of the College
Art Association hope you will drop by but in the meantime for the entire month
of February we will include an international group of artists whose research
resides in this cross-disciplinary

Biographies are listed below.

 TO MAKE A POST TO THE SUBSCRIPTION LIST:

 TO ACCESS ARCHIVES:
http://lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/

TO ACCESSTHE WEBSITE FROM THE CORNELL SERVER TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT –EMPYRE-:
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu <http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/>

I will introduce our guests weekly.  Looking forward to this discussion.
Renate Ferro

Moderator’s Biography:
Renate Ferro’s (US) creative work resides within the areas of emerging
technology, new media and culture. Her artistic work has been featured at the
Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), The Freud Museum (London), The
Dorksy Gallery (NY), The Hemispheric Institute and FOMMA (Mexico), and The
Janus Pannonius Muzeum (Hungary). Ferro is a Visiting Associate Professor of
Art at Cornell University.  She has been on the moderating team of -empyre-
soft-skinned space since 2007 and is currently the managing moderator.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art