Hello Everyone,

I am posting to the list for the first time, and would like to thank Tarsh and
Renate for pointing me to the discussion.

I will briefly introduce myself, while following up on Renate's question,

>> Soyo and Yiyyun do you have public labs that you create work in and conduct
>> research or do you have personal lab/studio spaces?

I studied with our last week’s artist Kathy High at Rensselaer for a valuable 8
years before moving back to my hometown Seoul in 2013. My first encounter to
‘biological’ art was through a university research initiative(The BioArt
Initiative) while working on an academic degree - so I had opportunities to
access actual biological research processes within scientific contexts and
laboratory procedures. As a student, I was also influenced by works of many
artists working in academia, including Paul Vanouse, who were actively
challenging institutional boundaries, scientific objectivity and capitalism.

I eventually ended up studying natural history specimens of human anatomy at
the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia, discovering their historical and cultural
peculiarities (completely different from European models or contemporary
clinical/scientific models), while performing conservation work at the museum's
Collections Management department - which was another type of institutional bio
lab.

Since returning to Seoul, I am no longer affiliated to an academic or research
institution. I now work at my tiny home kitchen. To keep my cats away from the
work, I installed a glass door so the cats can still talk to me while I do
something. I mostly use scavenged household instruments, and the most expensive
equipment I have is a $400 kimchee fridge to store biological tissues and
reagents. I collaborate with other makers and independent researchers from all
fields of art-science-technology rather than just ‘bio’ people, because our
number is so small and we need solidarity. At the start of this year, I started
an independent press + artist-run-space called Lifeforms in Culture to publish
and exhibit artist research projects. The type of techniques I can perform in
this setting is rather low tech and primitive at the moment, but I also feel
the information and resources I can access and share as a regular citizen is
expanding as I work.

Before adjusting to working independently, I went through a few different short
changes. When I first came back to Seoul, no one had ever heard of ‘bioart’(as
an umbrella term of course). I had no commissioned work for two years and the
best job I could find was to teach college classes about Nam June Paik and
video art. Then I was invited to present at an academic conference organised by
Swiss artists in 2015, which dramatically changed the way the local art
administrators saw my work. I was suddenly contacted by the national art museum
and various governmental departments, who provided funds to exhibit or curate
art-biology shows and events. I eventually came to realise they were not
interested in my work or any ethical/technical issues surrounding the
manipulation and display of living being. Rather, my American PhD degree in
‘bioart’ research was good presentation for the new government plant for
“Fourth Industrial Revolution”
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2016/12/15/0504000000AEN20161215009800320.html

<http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2016/12/15/0504000000AEN20161215009800320.html>.
 I must skip the details and jump to the conclusion - I now understand Korea’s
(and probably not just Korea’s) topdown-DIY-artistic-convergence oxymoron kills
the independent art scene rather than nurturing it. It is divorced from the
artists’ concerns, and has no connection to life and ethics of the public.

Many artists and researchers in Korea share this realisation from first-hand
experience working with government funding. Fortunately, I see the independent
art-science community continuing to grow as a result. We are seeing more
citizen-run maker labs and open labs each year, and institutional scientists or
professional engineers are sharing protocols and materials through online and
offline platfoms. Just last month, young bio-medicine students and researchers
in Seoul held a meeting called the “Mad Scientist Festival”. It was a
self-organized Pecha Kucha night in which anyone interested in the biological
sciences do a 2-minute presentation about their work. The event brought
together about 150 participants talking about their research as well as various
issues they encounter within academia. I hope this ‘movement’ will continue to
expand upon an independent spirit, but funding is always the biggest issue as a
lot of our work rely on government grants.

More Soon,
Soyo