Thanks for including me in this online symposium. It appears I am here as one
of the outliers, as someone just beginning to lap over into bioart and thinking
about both the unfamiliarities and the attractions of this terrain. I have a
few sci-art projects that are slowly fermenting, one involving an artificial
biome, one involving dirt, and one involving lost innovations by 19th century
women scientists, as well as one related to botanical art. (None of them at a
stage where it's worth going into them in any more detail here.) It's been
exciting to read about everyone's work this week, and especially to hear that
Paul's Coalesce lab finally opened & is being well received.

I find my own thinking constantly circling around the point Paul raises about
the relationship between ethics and aesthetics in boiart. As Erin observed, the
new materialism in which bioart participates, "invites us to revisit aesthetic
orientations that look beyond the material." (Preferably without taking refuge
in transcendentalisms.) Despite a history tracing back to Plato that stamps
aesthetics as a child of ethics, today ethics and aesthetics are often posited
as enemies -- it is implicit, for example, in refusals to 'read' a work
aesthetically through the moral failures evident in an artist's biography. For
me, one of the really interesting elements in bioart is the one-sidedness of
the ethical dimension. We are used to arguing our ethics out among ourselves in
all kinds of ways, but ultimately there are always people on all sides of a
discussion. But in extending the ethical discussion beyond human beings, we
must argue for, on behalf of, beings we hardly understand a
 t all, whether mammals or our own bacterial biomes. We are stuck with an Other
that no amount of argument on nonhumanist grounds seems able to fully
deconstruct. So bio-ethics, if it is not utterly reductive, must of necessity
be even more speculative than ordinary ethics. Meanwhile, living organisms of
all kinds are constantly opting out of our plans and views, taking account of
us in ways we don't expect, escaping us, causing our best research to fail and
our niftiest ideas to run haywire. There is no other area of art practice where
the matter with which one works is so constantly in a state of active
noncooperation, so recalcitrant, so unstable. I have a good amount of
experience working with people in performance projects, and in working with
rough matter in traditional art making-- and so it is that I now find myself
thinking that I have something important to learn from the elusive and often
nonobvious resistance offered at all times by other living organisms.

Antoinette LaFarge
Professor of Art
Claire Trevor School of the Arts
UC Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697