Thanks for the intro Renate and thanks to Paul, Lindsay, Byron and Kathy for your fascinating discussions.

I am currently working on my PhD in biological art at SymbioticA. My research is focused on the human body as an ecology. This project has raised quite a few physical, metaphysical, aesthetic and ethical questions, such as: how do we think of the self if we are multiple, do we treat our bodies differently if we think of ourselves as hosts, can thinking of ourselves as ecologies change how we treat our external ecologies, how do the participants in the human ecology perceive their ecology/environment, can we understand "what it might be like to be a [member of this ecology]", can we understand bodies differently . I work with /Candida albicans, /which is one of the species of this ecology and usually much maligned as "thrush" or "yeast infection". I make artworks with this yeast, using scientific and artistic experimental tools and methods, for human consumption.

Although I am interested in the philosophical aesthetic tradition, such as Kant and Nietzsche, I am much more interested in materialist aesthetic experiences, in the sensuality and eros of encounters as a more-than-human. Phenomenology doesnt work well for CandidaHomo entanglements, as consciousness is irrelevant. Sarah Ahmed's "orientation" and Karen Barad's queer performativity are more interesting here. The two main questions I am working with are 1. how to understand the other that is self - Barad's intra-active phenomena have been helpful here where there is no ontological difference; and 2. how to understand the "self-other" who doesnt have a face, who is not similar. Empathy based on similarity or vision doesnt apply to CandidaHomo relations. Bodies are all.

So here is the main point of my work, I guess: If bodies sometimes irritate or kill their hosts, what, if any, response-ability (to borrow from Astrid Schrader) does that host have to those bodies? If we cant get rid of them, how do we live with them? Can we live our bodies differently?

Tarsh Bates

PhD (Biological Art) Candidate SymbioticA, The University of Western Australia

w: tarshbates.com <http://tarshbates.com/>