Hi everyone,

First, thanks, Renate for brining all these amazing thinkers together; it
has been fascinating reading all the responses, questions, etc.
Additionally, it has been wonderful being in such company. Kathy, I saw one
of your works at the Miller Gallery at CMU a few days ago. Inspiring, as
always. As an early career artist and professor, it has been so motivating
to be in dialogue with so many people I've long admired.

Paul's response was so thoughtful that I doubt I can add much, but I'll
try.

One element that, for me, pushes against any kind of epegenetic notion of
"Bioart" is the vastness of what fall under that title. From biohackers to
those influenced by biological processes, there are wildly different
perspectives on what can be achieved, or what should be, using biology as a
loose underpinning. From the technosolutionist approach that biodesign
often espouses, to the highly self aware work of practitioners like Paul,
to those that fall somewhere in between (perhaps like Mary and I), bioart
doesn't seem to claim any kind of underlying manifesto as unifier.
Anecdotally, I am often frustrated by being put into the biohacking
community, as I am realistically not interested in DIY processes as much as
I am increased scientific literacy. The conflation of the two notions
positions my work precariously, but that has advantages, too. I guess I'm
hinting at why the term "bioart" is so problematic.

I think institutions like the Waag Society in Amsterdam are trying to
reconcile with exactly what you are questioning, Erin, in that the
biohacking labs and artists working with biology have overlap, but don't
necessarily see the ultimate purpose of their pursuits as similar. And to
what extent is there a unifying ideology? Or is there one at all? Something
like Adam Brown's *The Great Work of the Metal Lover *plays in the liminal
space between producing a democratizing output and being highly self aware
in so much as it is playing with public perceptions and understanding of
what is possible. Compare that to, on one end, biohackers developing DIY
processes and tools to emancipate discovery from institutional forces, and
on the other biodesigners using or appropriating the aesthetics or
mechanics of biological systems to solve some kind of problem. A
technosolutionist approach made more human through references back to
nature. I'm not even going to bother getting into the issues around anture.

I hope I don't sound crazy, as I'm typing this up on my phone in the campus
coffee shop as students filter through asking me questions on myriad
topics.

Thanks again, Renate!

--

*Byron Rich Assistant Professor of Electronic Art, Intermedia & Painting*
Allegheny College

Doane Hall of Art, A204
(o) 814.332.3381
www.byronrich.com

*Office Hours, Spring 2017:*
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - 8:30am-10:00am
Click here
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UUJyUzlGanlxTzVLfGRlZmF1bHR8YmE3MzU3OGE4MDJhMzY5MTFkNjM0MDFlMmQxNzM0ODg>
to schedule an appointment.