Dear -empyreans,

It is with great pleasure I introduce our moderator for this open month of
empyre Alan Sondheim.  Alan is a new media artist, theorist, musician, writer,
and performer concerned with issues of violence, virtuality, and the stake that
the real world has in the virtual. His most recent cd, with Azure Carter and
Luke Damrosch, is LIMIT, based in the inconceivability of time reversal. His 3d
printed distorted avatars are currently in a show in Spain; his writing, videos
and soundwork are available widely. He has co-moderated -empyre- (with Sandy
Baldwin and Johannes Berringer) on topics of Pain, Suffering, and Death in the
Virtual; and Absolute Terror, ISIS, and Performance.

The election of the Donald Trump has sent shockwaves across the arts, media,
and cultural global landscape not to mention the political one. Many of us who
live in upstate New York and beyond have spent many hours organizing, attending
political rally’s and marches, writing and calling our representatives.  In two
days, March 8th, International Women’s Day, many women will act together for
equity, justice and the human rights of women and all gender-oppressed people,
through a one-day demonstration of economic solidarity. In solidarity women
artists at Cornell are hosting an exhibition of work donating the proceeds to
Planned Parenthood and the Women’s Advocacy Center.  Amidst the gut wrenching
news that we tune into daily, good things are happening and will continue to do
so despite the circumstances.

Looking forward to what each of you have to say both near and far.
Warmly,  Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies