From: ghostn...@ghostnets.com<ghostn...@ghostnets.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [-empyre-] The global Trump effect
To: soft_skinned_space <empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au>

The most powerful t. effect is personal and intimate.
I have been hesitant to jump into this discussion because it is so ubiquitous
in my life now, I can hardly bear more. I teach at Stony Brook University, the
most diverse school for students from all over the world, and it is obsessive
there. i teach a class in Collective Action and Advocacy in the Sustainability
Dept. to earnest young people, who are over-whelmed, but the department policy
is to avoid direct allusuions to this "administration”. My most important
collaborator is Dr. Jim White, Director of the Institute for Arctic and Alpine
Research at the Univ of CO at Boulder, tasked with monitoring climate change,
where I’m an Affiliate, and we both work with Dr. Gene Turner, who has been
monitoring the Gulf Spill, which continues to destroy the third largest
watershed in the world. My own present work is a series of installations in the
path of natural gas pipelines, to try to stop them with a combination of
copyright law and eminent domain law. All my colleagues, feminists and artists
working on climate change,  biodiversity and nuclear issues have their hair on
fire and speak of waking up in tears every morning. As I move forward, I am
literally in fear of my life. Recently, someone tangential to my project, The
Blues Trees Symphony, was shot dead with 150 rounds, for shooting at a natural
gas pipeline. That’s just the professional part.

Personally, as a someone living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome who couldn’t
accrue enuf quarters for social security due to disability,and as a cancer
survivor, assaults on health care, environmental protection and unleashing
banks to do as they please, my life is threatened in a whole other panorama of
horrific outcomes.  The upshot, is that I sleep walk thru every day with
chronic PTSD, while trying to see a future that is a beacon to the diverse
nationalities of the young people I teach, and plan events that might thwart
the global effects of fossil fuel proliferation, that could endanger my
collaborators. I think many people I know are living like this now.

Intellectually, I have long analysed the relationship between over-population
and species decline under threat and pressure. I think t. is a “natural”
corrective for what our species has failed to manage more wisely. What I never
anticipated, was the sheer cruelty of those who are implementing his regime. It
is disheartening in a whole other dimension of reality that even Hitler could
not have imagined.

The task is to carry on, but it is often incredibly difficult.

“What the world needs is a good housekeeper.”
Aviva Rahmani, PhD
Affiliate INSTAAR, University of CO. at Boulder
https://www.nyfa.org/ArtistDirectory/ShowProject/1446ef3a-0a9d-4449-96be-74023eb9c376
Watch “Blued Trees”:  https://vimeo.com/135290635
www.ghostnets.com <http://www.ghostnets.com/>
www.gulftogulf.org <http://www.gulftogulf.org/>