To Alan, Johannes, Simon, Patrick, and others,
Just a quick note to let you all know that the reading this month has been
incredibly interesting.  I for one (between faculty searches, MFA admissions,
BFA admissions, and a looming deadline)  barely can get through the day but I
always check -empyre before I go to bed.  Just because I have not been active
in writing and engaging in real time does not mean that I am not tuned in.  I
was just in NYC a few days ago when I heard one of our subscribers so
brilliantly sum up what happens to him.

paraphrased
“The posts are so incredibly engaging and dense and sometimes way too long. I
read through them at first with every good intention of responding but when I
return there seems to be a new thread in the mix. I like to go back though and
recap what is happening even though I may miss out on responding right away.”

What I think we sometimes forget is that this is a list serv.  It is going to
have an ebb and flow to it.  I for one have been lurking this month more than
writing because of the craziness of life.  Isn’t the advantage of a listserv
that it gives us time to ruminate and reconsider at another time?   That it can
trace at the lightning speed what is happening at the moment but also give us a
chance to wait and perhaps go back at a later time? Isn’t is ok to let things
go for a bit?  Check out our archives that trace monthly discussion from 2002.
So if you miss something at some point and want to go back to it then you
always can even to 2002.

Hey I’m not going to defend -empyre. All I am saying is that there are ebbs and
flows to listservs and to life.

Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor