Dear all,

Thank you Renate, for all her incredible guidance for the month, and support for robot poetics. I am grateful to Renate as she has remained an inspiring model for me, and so many others, and empyre, has always remained a generative, artistic, and community space. It was an absolute pleasure to join in conversation this month, and help curate the dialogue on robot poetics. To echo Renate, I want to kindly thank all of our incredible participants for this last week, Keith Wilson, Sun Yung Shin, Lynne Desilva-Johnson, Mark Marino, Ana Monroe, Jenny Rhee, and Saba Ravi, with their insights and creative work on machine dreams. My mind is still stimulated by all the thoughts shared, and hope to follow up shortly.

Thank you also to artist Margaretha Haughwout for her email this week to the thread started by Lynne. I first "met" Margaretha when we were participants in a week of social practice art, curated by Kyle McKinley. It is wonderful when digital lines cross in generative and inspiring ways, with all of our participants this last week revealed!

Additionally thanks to all our participants during the month, which includes Susan, Mike, Sunny, and Sean for Week One, Tung-Hui, Neil, and Dmitry for Week Two, and for Week Three, Sarah, Lawrence, and Betsy, for conversations were buoying and dynamic. All of the participant's time and insights and digital presence are immeasurable. Many thanks to those who participated from the empyre community, for a generative conversation, and your robot poetics.

warmly,

Margaret

On 2017-06-05 07:27, Renate Terese Ferro wrote:
<snip>
From Mark Marino
These machine dreams, not quite nightmares, but haunting impressions.

It is not a raceless, egalitarian utopia. Nor is it a Platonic ideal on
some frictionless, unblemished grid.

It is broken, glitchy, it is pimpled, it is lossy, it is partial.

<snip>

A huge thank you to Margaret Rhee for organizing, hosting and
moderating the May topic Robot Poetics, Ephemera, and Other Concerns.
We as an -empyre- community were thrilled that Margaret agreed to host
a month inspired by her book of poetry RADIO HEART; OR, HOW ROBOTS
FALL OUT OF LOVE and her zine MACHINE DREAMS.  It’s been a rich month
with thanks to all of you who participated: Sun Yung, Ana, Margaretha,
Keith, Saa, Chatter, Sunny, Susan, Murat, Sean, Sarah, Mark, Betsey,
Tung Hui, Davin, Babak, Christopher, Lynne, Ben, Ann, Lawrence,
William, Dimitry, Ruth, Neil and especially Margaret (hoping I did not
forget anyone!).  So many of you were new contributors to -empyre- and
we hope you will continue to stay involved.

Last night I caught a bit of television and saw this commercial on TV
sponsored by Hewlett Packard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT2eRiAFjrg

The advertisement is one in a series of advertisements featuring the
character Michael a hybrid robot/employee who symbolizes YES
technology a hybrid platform. Thanks Margaret and all for providing
the critical lens for thinking about affect and robotics, dreams and
technology, writing and popular culture.  I pulled out Mark Marino’s
post from a post he made on May 27th that catalyzes that lens.

I’d like to remind all of our -empyre subscribers that The Machine
Dreams Zine is up and running at:
https://machinedreamszine.tumblr.com.
The zine is a compilation of creative work and critical theory on the
machine, arts, and difference. Contributions are largely drawn from
the conference, Machine Dreams: A Symposium on Arts, Robots, and
Difference held at UCLA in 2015 which was co-organized by Lucy Burns,
Neil Aitken, and Margaret Rhee.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Margaret with hopes that she will
consider again guiding us through her work and interests again soon.
Renate Ferro

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies