Subject: Re: Introducing Lynne DeSilva-Johnson!
Date: 2017-05-30 15:46
From: the operating system <thisistheoperatingsys...@gmail.com>
To: Margaret J Rhee <mr...@uoregon.edu>

Glad for this further engagement, and honored to be held in Cyborg ears
at Wiscon! Somehow knew many folks there this year.

I want to rejoin your comments here, but also re-engage with some of the
questions that started off the month, just to bring things full circle
-- because I think they help me weave the ontological threads I'm going
for:

"_What is a poem? Is it a thought, or a dream? / __Our bodies, maybe?_

_Now, what is a machine?"_

I start here because I want to speak to the organism-as-machine, the
algorithm-as-ecology, and technology as an evolving, pre-mechanized
condition, which perhaps moved away from "nature" in our common lexicon,
but never entirely in fact -- and that, too, in a way, robot poetics may
now be in our nature, so that all of us are inadvertantly engaged in it
at all times, some more consciously than others.

One of the most impactful lectures I sat in as a student was in a
4-fields required intro-anthro class, in Archeology. And in that lecture
-- on "technology," the professor opened with a slide on early nets --
literal nets, for fishing -- and how they transformed all that came
after. The conceptual shift that moved "technology" away from modern
machines to its root as the marriage of techne and logia.

I say this because The OS is entirely built on an iterative, ecological,
machine learning / agile, open source inspired model -- and because I
see myself quite literally at the helm of an organism, which is really
just a segment of breathing, evolving cyborg mycelia to which both
humans and code -- and, as such, the tools of our hyper-networked life
(like mobile devices) are intimately tied.

I'm sort of an early adopter nerd, you know -- I had a blog starting in
2003, was doing poetry and art on products on cafepress about that
time.... and I run in these sort of futurist circles -- I'm as likely to
be reading Rheingold or WIRED as I am poetry -- and so when I think
about the OS I think about how this organism MUST be built using the
materials of this time, and how _we_ are co-evolving in physical
landscape and rewriting our own genetics via the specific techne and
logia of this time. I believe this deeply.

So, that means -- I am thinking about SEO and languaging for social
networks, and metatagging, in my own art and poetics as well as in the
work I produce for the OS on and offline -- and I'm also looking for
sensibilities that marry those languages. I think often this manifests
in popular poetics as inclusions of meme or pop reference -- and I think
there's a place for that -- but my own scanner, looking at manuscripts
and work, is always seeking out voices that dialogue with the myriad
codes we are required to parse and codeswitch seamlessly in order to not
only function but especially to thrive here.

I think a lot of the work that I select for The OS catalog engages with
a post-colonial, anthropocene intersectionality that dives just as
deeply into ecopoetic concerns -- and all of this with an awareness of
the hyper-written linguistic simulacra of our engagements here. Mark
Gurarie's book, _Everybody's Automat_, as you say here, Margaret, is a
great example of this, as is Judith Goldman's  [18]_agon [18]_ -- yet
none of these authors are overtly engaged with the titular work of
"robot poetics" -- which I think is important to consider. When given an
offer of this language, and versed in its questions, many of our authors
-- and myself -- would certainly consider ourselves to be working there,
but it's never been language that was used. Part of this may simply be
what part of academic life (or entirely non-academic life) folks find
themselves in. So much of the labelling (or lack thereof) has to do with
circles and association.

I've been thinking a lot about Paolo Soleri, whose work I return to
cyclically, and I'm currently writing a short pamphlet drawing on some
of his ideas (for Amanda Ngoho Reavey's Panthalassa Pamphlet series,
speaking of which) - he writes in _The Bridge Between Matter & Spirit is
Matter Becoming Spirit _about Esthetogenesis [19], a process of
self-revelation that becomes possible via evolution -- something he
envisioned as being irrevocably connected to how we as humans construct
our environment.

As I tried to find the right space within which to encourage others to
not only live here but dwell ala Heidegger [20], I thought that first
working immediately on the environment (as a designer / planner /
architect) would be the obvious choice, but as I came to understand the
disciplinary and institutional handcuffs on so much of that profession I
began to seek space for systemic, techne - logic change at the energetic
level -- through subtler, culture-change organizations, temporary
autonomous spaces,  because I came to believe that the linguistic -- >
metaphysical --- > biochemical influence of ideological apparati has so
lodged in the body that it had begun to ossify -- so the mind/body
needed to change in order for the environment to continue working
alongside us evolutionarily.

Did I answer any of the questions?

What is a poem, what is my body, what is a machine -- and are these
three different, indeed? I often say that the poem is ur-language, the
language of all language and no language, the space of permission where
sound was the _figuring out_ rather than the assumed known. And I still
think, ideally, that is the case. Under that moniker, there are all
these other systems into which we fit language, for various purposes.
But it's ALL poetry. And code is poetry, and the body, as an
experimental phase of evolution written in our specific materials, can
be seen as a poetry, if these materials are the language of an
evolutionary writer or energy. And then, what is machine? well, then,
isn't poetry a machine, and body a machine -- but it's the space where
consciousness comes in and tries to hack the three -- a very human
space, a cyborg space (but we've always been cyborg -- interfacing with
other machines, like the great intelligent machines of rainforest, for
instance, which I hope we regain literacy in) ... and so? The OS. A
cyborg poem writ large, an evolutionary experiment with Esthetogenetic
aspirations.

SHH! don't tell anyone. :)

xoxo

The Operating System
www.theoperatingsystem.org [21]
Brooklyn, NY

“IN ORDER TO CHANGE AN EXISTING PARADIGM YOU DO NOT STRUGGLE TO TRY
AND CHANGE THE PROBLEMATIC MODEL. YOU CREATE A NEW MODEL AND MAKE THE
OLD ONE OBSOLETE.”

- R. Buckminster Fuller

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Margaret J Rhee <mr...@uoregon.edu>