Excellent questions, Renate!

First, I will take part of this up in the larger context of UnderAcademy
College.

UnderAcademy was established in 2011 to explore potential alternative
methods for online pedagogy. Founded with the following charter.

*UnderAcademy College* is an unaccredited undergraduate, graduate and
postgraduate anti-degree institution. UnderAcademy College situates itself
as a shadow-academic environment offering alternative courses and
anti-degree programs in a variety of subjects. The primary mission of
UnderAcademy College is to remain open, marginal, and unaccredited.

*“UnderAcademy is not anti-academic, it is under — like under the influence
of the academy. And, we are not a university; **we are called a college
because of its phonological proximity to collage.”* Talan Memmott
Provisional Provost UnderAcademy College
Since its inception we have serviced around 1000 students (or participants,
as we prefer). Courses we have offered include the fake news seminar in
question, along with seminars in GLITCH, STITCH, AND THE MELANCHOLY OF
REPRESENTATION, GRAMMAR PORN, ADVANCED MACARONICS: NEOLOGY, SUBJECTIVITY
AND THE PROBLEM OF PERSUASION, MEME CULTURE, ALIENATION CAPITAL, AND GESTIC
PLAY (which resulted in an issue of Rhizomes:
http://rhizomes.net/issue32/index.html), 141: THE GENERAL ECONOMY AND
TWITTER–GEORGE BATAILLE IN THE AGE OF TELETECHNICS, ENTROPY, INERTIA, AND
OTHER ANTI-KINETICS: A FEMINIST WAY OF LOOKING, and many more.

UnderAcademy is definitely not a stunt -- though it does employ
performative, participatory, and playful methods. At some level
UnderAcademy may be taken as satire of traditional academia, but I would
argue that its is more of an intervention. And, in this regard is a serious
project that works on multiple levels -- as critique, as performance, as
alternative, as think-tank, as incubator. Our faculty is made up of
Digressors rather than professors.

In regard to the HOW TO WRITE AND READ FAKE NEWS seminar, I see the course
operating in the domains of creative writing workshop and rhetoric class.
And, at some level I believe what we did with the course could fairly
easily be  leverage into more traditional courses taking up the subject of
fake news. One observation I have of UnderAcademy is that quite a few
academics take the UnderAcademy courses and then borrow exercises for their
own courses. I am certain this is the case with the fake news course.

-- Talan