It was an interesting thread, thank you. Love the Cocteau quote.

“What the world needs is a good housekeeper.”
Aviva Rahmani, PhD
Affiliate INSTAAR, University of CO. at Boulder
https://www.nyfa.org/ArtistDirectory/ShowProject/1446ef3a-0a9d-4449-96be-74023eb9c376
Watch “Blued Trees”:  https://vimeo.com/135290635
www.ghostnets.com <http://www.ghostnets.com/>
www.gulftogulf.org

On 7/15/17, 2:42 PM, "empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
Randall Packer" <empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
rpac...@zakros.com> wrote:

    Hi Patrick,

    Excellent, illuminating breakdown and distinction between the various forms
of the fake.

    I would want to emphasize the intent of the faker. For some, it is the
motive of deception, in which we experience the collapse of distance between
the real and the imaginary, such that argument is rendered impossible when
facts are hidden behind a smokescreen intended to hide the truth. Fake news is
used as an assault on truth through the construction and insertion of the lie
into the public discourse.

    Conversely, satire or parody is often intended to strengthen and reinsert
distance between truth and the lie, to insert a critical view that attempts to
expose the false. In other words, satire and parody, though not “true,” are
meant to seek the truth.

    There is a wonderful quote by Cocteau that looks at another distinction,
mythology, in a related light: "I have always preferred Mythology to History
because History is made up of truths that later become lies and Mythology is
made up of lies that later become truths."

    Thanks again for providing this succinct overview.

    Best,

    Randall

    On 7/12/17, 9:41 AM, "patrick lichty"