Andrea, the Human River Flow 1 has simply terrific choreography and camerawork.
The dancers embodying the river flow are amazing – even as moving through,
navigating and inhabiting the Lagos market is marked by contingencies and
improvisations, there seemed to be a lot of attention and coordination. Thanks
for sharing this – I watched it a number of times and then watched another of
your choreographed river flows through Occupy. On the Lagos one, I could not
help but think of how you do not just trouble the boundaries of bodies in/and
spaces, but also create an alternative infrastructure of water: the artists
seem to be, and be in, water. Also liked the sound mix, some parts of the
ambient diegetic sounds also made me attend to the rhythm of the dancing
artists and to the market atmospherics.

I have been working on a paper about how three kinds of informal economies
interweave – one related to memory card/media use in cellphones, another
dealing with e-waste recycling, and still another about extending electricity
connections. Other than in India, I have found examples in Cuba, Tanzania,
Ghana, and Bangladesh, and it was helpful to hear Robert Neuwirth’s talk for
some practices in Nigeria.

Tim: I am definitely looking forward to check out the WIRED RUINS CTheory issue
and “Machine Organs” piece. I shall keep thinking about these sentences you
cited from there: “With its trajectory across races, species and places,
information crosses out differences. Excising excess as it goes. We are
learning to know the body as if outside culture and history. And we are being
habituated to understand corporeality only in the narrowest of biological
discourses.”

- rahul