Appreciate this post Melinda and on behalf of all  –empyre- subscribers we send
to you, his family and friends our condolences.
For those of you who were not familiar with his work here is a link to his
website.
http://vogmae.net.au/

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art
Tjaden Hall 306
rfe...@cornell.edu

On 2/8/18, 8:58 AM, "empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
melinda rackham" <empyre-boun...@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au on behalf of
melr...@icloud.com> wrote:

    Today I bear the sad news that our colleague and friend Adrain Miles has
passed away at the weekend. He had a heart attack while riding his bike.

    I have known Adrian for several decades both on and offline. I can't recall
which conference I met him at, but it was somewhere in the mid 1990’s when we
were a few of dissident voices of the superhighway hype. His enthusiasm for
everything was astounding! His generosity to others as a teacher and mentor,
his love of a good debate, his enquiring mind and his sense of humour. He
always had a smile and a quirky line.

    Adrian was an original member and active participant of -empyre-. As I knew
he was smart, trustworthy and equitable he was the first person I approached to
assist facilitating when -empyre- was growing exponentially in its first six
months and was too much for one person to manage.

    He joined up behind the scenes and first facilitated on his favourite topic
in June 2002:
    + Hypertext, Blogs and Video Blogs (vogs)
    Adrian Miles and Jill Walker
    http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/2002-June/date.html

    and in September 2002:
     Alter_Forms
    + codeWurk with Mez & Methodicist Manifesto with Hideki Nakazawa
    http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/2002-September/date.html

    Adrian left the team as more facilitators joined in 2003, and was a vital
member of "fibreculture" another Australian listserve and publisher set up on a
more academic model http://www.fibreculture.org.  However he remained a long
timr supported of and occasional guest on -empyre-, the last being on Practice
Led Research in 2013.

    Tributes are currently being written by others for ELO, RMIT and other
places. Our thoughts are with his loved ones.
    Melinda

    From around the web today:

    Jason Nelson:
    "Tragic news from Australia. Adrian Miles has passed away.
    A pioneering digital media artist, thinker and writer, early hypertext
creator, vlogger and Professor at RMIT, Adrian continued for decades to be a
force in combining new forms of narrative/writing/communication and media in
Australia and around the world. Damn"

    Lisa Gye:
    "Terribly saddened by the news of Adrian Miles' death last weekend. He was
generous, challenging and thoroughly supportive. I know many Australian and
international media studies scholars will be shocked and dismayed by this news."

    Rosie Cross:
    "Vale Adrian Miles, @vogmae on #Vimeo https://t.co/gF5PcpBxzH #RIP #pioneer
[#geekgirl]"
    empyre forum