On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM, Murat Nemet-Nejat <mura...@gmail.com>
wrote:

The quintessential characteristic of lists is that they create threads so
> that a new post to the thread repositions the whole thread to the
> forefront. This way an argument, a discussion can be sustained. Comments,
> posts have duration. They can be exchanged, a dialogue, etc., can be formed.

If you'll allow me to barge in here, I totally agree. That's why early net
culture seemed to be so literary, so much about public space and the
formation of crisscrossing subjectivities. I guess that's why you *make*
friends on lists, and just "have" friends on Facebook. But I wouldn't know,
as I've never used the latter.

Anyway, thanks also to Alan for such a generous reflection about the way a
whole range of lists have evolved over the years.

best, Brian