Thanks to Junting and others for the dialogue that's unfolded thus
far, and for folding those of us who are new into this discussion.

I can by no means respond with any degree of erudition to your thorny
and generative provocations, David, but reading through your
reflections I had a few thoughts.

Bao's formulation of the spherical model of media as environmental
brings to mind John Durham Peters' recent (well, now 3 years old - The
Marvelous Clouds) exploration of media as environmental,
atmospheric--a formulation in which media are not only about the
world, but are the world. From this vantage point, media are not just
technology, apparatus, or the systems that sustain them, but rather
the whole system underwriting human experience in the world. The
structure of the world, and how we navigate and perceive it, is
understood as recording and transmitting media. I wonder if this kind
of approach, which seems related if not commensurate between Bao (whom
I admittedly have not read) and Peters suggests some ways forward.

You very rightly, to my mind, suggest we separate out the appearance
or presentation of noise from what it does. I wonder if to do so would
allow noise (in all its different modes?) to operate more in this
third environmental vein. Which is to say, the relation of signal and
noise would not longer be the defining question.

Finally, I am coming at these issues from the lens of my current
research, in which I have been thinking about the German media
theorist Sybille Kramer's proposition that the noises of the body
[Korpergerausche] -- which are usually either noise that we can not
directly trace or "translate," or else are taboo indicators,
signifying at a register that may tell us something about the body and
its physical needs but is not seen as meaningful or linked to
subjectivity or communication per se -- can be amplified by technical
means (microphones,, etc.) and heightened to such a degree that the
extent of the physicality of these body noises wrestles with the
"content" of these noises and overcomes it..

Thinking about the connections between the environmental/systems
aspects of the noise of the body and of the world more broadly... and
just tossing some assorted thoughts out into the ether.

caitlin