"Noise: Disorientation, Contamination, and (Non)Communication"

Hello everyone,

I was just thinking of this subject and I was wondering why do we present noise
as a negative concept?

Why if noise helped us to direct ourself in our surroundings (Disorientation)?
why if noise was a not a virus (contamination) but a way to cure people and
nature? or if it was a way to communicate with the universe and the nature?
Why if noise was a way to communicate and the signal (being the information)
was not the only way of communicated (as in the communication theory)?

Also what is noise? In which domain, theory or practices?
Are we talking about theory of communication, artistic practices?
Are we talking about noise music? or nature's noises such as wind or thunder?
If we are talking about music, what kind of noises? white noise, brown noise, pink noise?
or saturated sounds? "Concrete" music sounds such as everyday life sounds:
squeaky doors, fans, trains, cars, planes, cooking sounds...etc?

We don't have to answer all of those questions during this week but at least
maybe we could clarify some of them or express what's our interest in this
field.

For instance, in my case, I am a composer, musician, sound artist...etc. I am
using noise-sound in my music but I also make noise music. Noise music does
have a positive impact in my life not only in term of production or as a
performer but also in the listening of it, specially in concert situation with
loudspeakers and sub-woofers to really feeling it.
I am also finishing my P.h.D and one chapter is dedicated to this question of
the practices of noise music from the perspectives of those who makes it and
not only from the academic or the listener point of view.

So I am wondering where people stand with those concepts? Beyond your
background what's is your interest in the subject and from which perspective
are you talking about?

best

Julien

--
JULIEN OTTAVI
Composer, Artist, curator and PhD student on new music and network

http://www.noiser.org
http://www.apo33.org
http://www.fibrrrecords.net
http://www.apodio.org